116 E. Cameron Ave.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Originally intended to serve as a “New Chapel” when it was completed in 1837, Gerrard Hall has since played host to writer Langston Hughes, slave poet George Moses Horton, and three presidents of the United States, including Carolina alumnus James K. Polk.
In 1993 the N.C. General Assembly met here in honor of the University’s Bicentennial. Movie fans may recognize Gerrard from Patch Adams, which had a prominent scene filmed here.
A major renovation of Gerrard Hall, including restoration of its beautiful Greek Revival portico, was completed in November 2007. Central air conditioning was installed and the buildings exterior repaired. The facility now includes a built-in sound system and projector with retractable screen.
The building features a U-shaped balcony with fixed seating and room for movable seating on the lower level. Total seating is 380 (187 in the upper level and 193 in the lower level). Standing receptions of up to 200 people may be accommodated on the lower level.
Gerrard Hall is located on East Cameron Avenue between Memorial Hall and South Building, near the Old Well and the Campus Y.